Image Map

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Birthday blahs

I've long been one of those people who eagerly anticipated her birthday. Once the calendar strikes July, I am excited to make plans to celebrate the day. Often, I've already made plans by this time and it's just a matter of executing them. The party often lasts longer than just the day of. Sometimes, I even claim the whole month as my party.

This year, something has changed.

I don't want to do anything for my birthday. 
No big party.
No concerts. 
No social outing whatsoever.

Sean and I are going out of town on that day, but it's our mini-moon. Since it's for both of us, it doesn't really count as my birthday celebration. I don't think that's the cause of my blues though because I'm really excited about our trip.

So what happened?

I have no idea. A few years ago, my birthday was dampened by some drama, and I think that's slowly chipped away at my enthusiasm about the day. I'm at the point, where I don't even really want to acknowledge my birthday. I haven't put it on any of my calendars.  A few friends have reached out to make plans, but I was lukewarm (and that's being generous) in my response. I told Sean I don't want any gifts (he didn't listen). I have considered removing my birth date from my Facebook profile and shutting off wall posts for the day so people can't bombard me with well wishes. Bah humbug, indeed.
I'm just not feeling very excited about the day this year.

I don't want to feel this way. And I only have a few days to change my mood and perspective. 
Any tricks or advice?

1 comment:

  1. I've been like this for a few years, too, and I don't know why. I've taken my birth date off of Facebook and try to fly under the radar as much as possible. I don't want to say anything at work because people in the office typically bring treats to celebrate. I actually took my birthday off *just in case* they found out it was my birthday.

    Perhaps this is one part of the aging process that no one told us about, but you are definitely not alone in feeling that way. I will still be thinking about you and text you on your day. :)

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover