Image Map

Tuesday, October 30, 2018

An update on Cleo

Back in May, I mentioned that Cleo (my 16-year-old calico) gave us quite a health scare. While I was getting ready to leave for my bachelorette party, she began acting strange. She was walking funny and as she tried to itch her ear, her whole body just seemed to freeze. It almost looked like a seizure. It was terrifying, and Sean and I rushed her to the vet. A few hours later, we found out her kidneys were not functioning well.

I have no idea how she sleeps like this. It makes my neck hurt.

Since then, we've been doing subcutaneous fluid injections daily (or nearly daily -- sometimes we miss a day). They seem to be helping her. In her check-ups since then, her levels have kind of evened out. She's using the litter box normally and eating and drinking just fine. She still throws up a few times a week, which I'll bring up to her vet when she goes back in a few weeks.

It's not fun, but we both know the fluids make her feel better (at least I'm hoping she's figured that out.)

 People keep asking me how long I will continue with the fluids for her. My answer? As long as I need to.

Her treatment is not cheap -- $80/month -- and I have her and her fur-sister on special food that costs about $54 every six weeks. However, I won't let expense be the reason I stop her treatment. When I adopted her nearly 16 years ago, I committed to giving her the best life I could. I think I've done an OK job at that -- definitely not perfect, but she's had a good life. I will continue with her treatments as long as her vet tells me she still has a good quality of life.

My girl loves laying in the sun.

I'll never be ready to say goodbye to my little feline friend, but I vow to continue doing what I can for her as long as it's still helping her.


1 comment:

  1. I think non-pet lovers would have trouble understanding this, but I definitely don't. Cleo is very lucky!
    A few years ago, when Scout was strangled by his collar and we had to cut him in order to cut the collar off, he needed to be put under to have the tissue and muscle sewn back up. I don't even know why we even asked the vet how much it was going to cost, because it's not like we wouldn't do it/pay for it! (they estimated $400, it cost $800..sigh).

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover