Image Map

Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Show Us Your Books: October 2018

Life According to Steph

In October, I had to say farewell to a faithful friend of more than a decade. My kindle. It's a second generation and apparently it decided to just give up on life a few weeks ago. So so sad. RIP Kindle.

Even with that sad time, I did manage to finish some books last month.

I cannot get enough of this series (True North), which follows individuals in the very northeast. It started with a family and has branched out into neighbors and friends. I love the characters and it's nice to revisit those from earlier in the series to see how their lives have progressed. This is the fifth book and features Alec (a bad boy bartender) and May (the younger sister of Alec's rival). They are a strange match at first, but as the story unfolds, the reader sees just how good they can be for each other.



I love reading books set in my home state. Especially when they fit into genres that already capture my interest. This suspense/mystery features Arden, who has returned to her family home in Keokuk, Iowa, for the first time in several years. The place holds some sad memories for her -- notably, the disappearance of her twin sisters -- but she feels drawn to it nonetheless. While she's there, she begins to uncover family secrets that help her learn the truth about what happened to the toddlers. The book moved a bit slow at first, but once it got going, it was a really captivating and easy read.



Writer Anthony Peardew spends years of his life collecting lost objects, hoping one day these items will be returned to their rightful owner. When Anthony dies, he leaves his collection of lost objects to his caretaker, Laura. She must fulfill Anthony’s mission and try to reunite the lost objects with their rightful owners. I was intrigued by the story, wanting to know more about why Anthony would collect lost things and how he hoped to return them. The stories behind each of the objects are what kept this book going for me. I read it fairly quickly.


National Novel Writing Month is underway, so my reading time has taken a bit of a hit. I'm trying to stay strong though. I'm hoping I can finish at least three books this month.

6 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of Arrowood before. I like the sound of it and I LOVE the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yaaaaassssss truth north!!! love that series. speakeasy was soooo good (i admit, i didn't expect to like it as much because i wasn't feeling May, but i did!) but bountiful has been my favourite so far. fireworks showed up on my kindle this morning so i know what i'm doing tonight lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading books in settings that are familiar to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't read these but Arrowood sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading book set in Delaware. There's like 4, though. And one of them kind of sucked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard a lot of good about The Keeper of Lost Things.
    Books set in Alaska always intrigue me, but I'm always afraid they'll get things wrong? Usually the best ones were by people who actually lived there.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover