Image Map

Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Show Us Your Books: January 2019


Life According to Steph


I fell into a bit of an author hole during the first month of the year. I read three books from the same author. It was not a bad thing. I am loving the writing of Sarah Addison Allen. I had to keep myself from checking out her other books from the library this month (but I'm sure I'll be going back for them soon). The author was recommended to me last year or so by Katie. I read one book back then and liked it, but for whatever reason, I didn't get around to picking up more until this year.

I was quickly drawn into this story about the Waverley family. They have a magical apple tree in their yard and Claire uses edible flowers to evoke certain emotions or reactions from whomever eats the baked goods. When her sister returns with a daughter in tow, Claire's routine is rattled, but the sisters reconnect. I loved the characters, the setting, and the touch of magic.


Josey lives beneath her mother's thumb -- eating sweets and reading romance novels kept hidden in her closet. It's easy to see it's not the life she wants, but she does it anyway ... until a mysterious woman takes up residence in said closet and challenges Josey to figure out who she is and live a little more. Much like in Garden Spells, there is still an air of magic and a lot of mystery. 

I think this is my favorite of Sarah's books so far. I sped through the story quickly, simultaneously wanting to see what happened and not wanting it to end. Emily Benedict arrives in the town where her mother grew up, hoping to learn more about her mother's mysterious past. She meets a grandfather she hadn't known existed along with a whole cast of people who give her different looks at her mother's life. Among those is Julia, who is searching for someone as well and hoping her delicious cakes will bring that person to her. I loved all of the characters and the town so much. I wish there was a sequel to this one.


I also finished two non-SAA books during January.

These Is My Words: The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, 1881-1901
by Nancy E. Turner

Kristin read this one recently and mentioned it on her blog. I was intrigued, so I got on the wait list at the library. I had to wait a few months to get the book, which I took as a good sign. The story is told in diary form, so it took me a little while to get used to that. But once I adjusted and got attached to the characters, I flew through the book. I was anxious to find out what happened next as Sarah and her family settled in on the wild frontier. They battled diseases, Native American tribes, and lots of other dangers. I kept forgetting how young Sarah was until she would remind me in her diary entries. With all she went through, she always seemed much older. It was an inspiring and thought-provoking story, and I'm very glad I picked it up.


The Four Tendencies
by Gretchen Rubin

I had read "The Happiness Project" but hadn't really kept up with Rubin since then. This book came up in some of my networking sessions at work and also with a friend. I wanted to find out what my tendency was and how it affected my goal-setting and life in general. I am an Obliger, which didn't really surprise me.



Currently reading: The Good Father by Noah Hawley

I've hit a pretty good stride with reading so far this year. I'm hoping I can keep it up.


12 comments:

  1. Sometimes Im in the mood for one author also and I just go for it. They all sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Gretchen Rubin and I really, really enjoyed These is My Words too. I've only read Garden Spells by SAA and I really liked that one - I need to remember to try her other books sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love Gretchen Rubin. I still need to read this one- and then she has a new book coming out really soon too.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen any of these before! That is one of my favorite things about this link up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Sarah Addison Allen. It's like going home to a nice cup of tea and a candle to read her books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i've never read a book by Sarah Addison Allen - but i own all 3 of those so hopefully soon lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's the best when you get into a groove with an author and they have a lot of books to choose from! I've never read anything by SAA, but I think I do have one or two on my tbr.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah Addison Allen is one of my favorites! Garden Spells and First Frost are at the top of the list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These Is My Words is an older book I have not heard of. It sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. SAA is one of my very favorite authors! So glad to see that you read some of her books and enjoyed them! I'm not sure what my favorite is.. maybe The Peach Keeper. I haven't read First Frost yet! :) I want to read some Gretchen Rubin. :) XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Four Tendencies seems like something I would enjoy! I've been so into the enneagram lately, so I feel like it would be similar!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover