Image Map

Friday, July 23, 2010

Friday Fiver: Things I Can't Do (Yet)

There are lots of things I can't do, but this list is a compilation of things I can't do that other people seem to be able to do effortlessly.  I'm almost ashamed to put this list up.  But when I started this blog, I promised to be very candid.  I intend to keep that up.  So, here it goes.  Feel free to mock me or give me advice/tips in the comments.

- 1.  Run a 5K -

I have often been heard saying, "If you see me running, call the police because I am being chased."  Cancel that emergency call.  I have (slowly) started the Couch to 5K running program in hopes of running my first 5K this fall.  Color me scared.  And nervous.  I don't know if I can do this.  I'm so self-conscious of looking dumb or being slow when I run that I may stay in my car at the 5K site.


- 2.  Hard boil an egg -


Yes, really.  I have tried to hard boil eggs a few times, but they were still runny in the middle. I've looked up directions on the 'net and even asked my mom what I was doing wrong, but I haven't managed to right it.  I feel like this is something a 30-year-old woman should be able to do, so I'll keep trying.


- 3.  Fold a fitted sheet -

Well, I wouldn't be trying to do it in my kitchen.  But maybe I should try if it's working for this girl.  Again, I have tried to fold a fitted sheet a number of times, but it always gets jacked up and I end up just rolling it up and stuffing it in the linen closet. Maybe Sabrina can give me a tutorial at Hotel Carolina.


- 4.  Take a nap -

Unless I'm sick or have stayed up all night, it is impossible for me to sleep during the day. I tried napping in college (because I kept hearing it was an integral part of a successful undergrad career), but never mastered anything more than a few minutes with my eyes closed before I got bored or thought of something else to do.  Even now, I'll sometimes feel tired when I get home from work, but instead of laying down, I'll turn on the TV or my computer. I can always find something to do other than sleep.


- 5.  Flirt -

I touched on this in yesterday's entry.  When I like a guy, I tend to avoid him or get shy around him rather than engage him in some playful banter.  I just don't know how to do it without looking dumb.  I've read all the magazine articles and even Greg Behrendt's books, but I still haven't figured it out.  This may be one factor in my endless singlehood. I guess I expect him to read my mind and know I'm interested.  Can't they do that? No?  Hmm.  Well, then I don't know what to do. Is there an app for that?

4 comments:

  1. Love this post, it made me laugh. My trick for hard boiled eggs is wait till the water is boiling again (after eggs are in) and then set the timer for 15 minutes. People say you can over cook them but I don't think you can as I have forgotten them many of times and they are fine. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't sleep during the day either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathryn - Thanks for the tip. I will try that this week, as I plan to hardboil a bunch of eggs to have as breakfast-on-the-go options.

    Caroline - Glad I'm not alone in that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with ya on 1 & 3. Maybe I can help ya with the others. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover