Image Map

Monday, July 26, 2010

Music Monday - Tony Lucca

I have been a fan of this man for more than half of my life. I discovered him in the early 90s, when he was on a little show called "MMC" ("Mickey Mouse Club").  If it wasn't for Tony, I would never have discovered John Mayer and subsequently many of my current favorites.  I also wouldn't have many of the friendships with which I have been blessed.  So, as cliche as it is to say - Tony has changed my life.

When I was in junior high and high school, I rushed home from school every afternoon to get my Mouseketeer fix.  He was my favorite all the way through --- even after the addition of younger (and now more famous) faces.  He's always been incredibly handsome, and his voice slays me.  I was devastated when the show was cancelled, but the internet was starting to come out, so I was able to keep up with his solo endevours.

I bought his first independent solo album shortly before heading to college, and I kept up with what he was doing from there on out.  I finally got to see him live for the first time when he opened for 'N Sync in 2002.  I even got to meet him after his set.



I was thrilled, but my best Lucca moments were yet to come.

I saw him once each year in 2003-2005, while I was living in Texas.  I even got to interview him for an entertainment piece in the newspaper I was working for at the time. I was incredibly nervous and geeked up all at once.  His then-manager, Quincy, was of great help in calming me down and making me feel like less of a fangirl and more of just a fan.  I sold merch for Tony a few times, and was struck at how genuinely gracious he is.  At one show, he was running a bit late, but the first thing he did when he came in was come over to the table and thank me for helping out.  (Here's a pic of me and Tony from his April 2004 show with Tyler Hilton and Joe Firstman.)



I had to wait five long years before I saw Tony again at Hotel Carolina last August.  It was well worth the wait though. Tony's music and voice only continue to get better with each passing year.  I introduced a few other friends to his music this year, and possibly created some new Lucca fans.  But that's nothing compared to the incredible friends I've made because of our shared love of his music.  I look forward to seeing him again at this year's Hotel Carolina.  It'll be my seventh Tony Lucca show, but as many of my friends would agree - there's no such thing as too much Lucca.

And, keeping that in mind, I'm posting THREE of my favorite Tony songs for your listening (and viewing) enjoyment.

1.  "Catch Me" -- from the Shotgun album. 


2.  "Death of Me" -- possibly my all-time favorite of his songs. (shoutout to my friend Trish, who shot this in her living room)


3.  "Pretty Things" -- It's pretty much a staple in his sets now. I never really get tired of hearing it.

1 comment:

  1. Truly one of the most amazing musicians I've ever met. I don't see how he isn't as famous as Justin...

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover