Image Map

Thursday, November 18, 2010

30 Days of Truth -- Day 7: You Make Life Worth Living

Day 7 --  Someone who has made your life worth living.


This is probably the easiest of all the truth day challenges.  I have been blessed with some incredible people in my life, but as I ponder this question, I realize there are only three people I truly live for.  Three people I know would be devastated if something happened to me (or at least I think they would). 

My mom.
My dad.
My brother.

My mom and I have almost always had a great relationship.  I went through that awful, awkward teenage stage where I didn't want my mom to take me anywhere.  I wish I could go back and change that.  I want her at everything now.  She is honestly one of my closest friends, and I feel like I could talk to her about anything. I don't think I've inherited enough of her good traits, like her money management or her housekeeping skills. I guess I'll have to keep working on those.

I've always been really close with my dad too.  Just like my mom, I know he would do anything for me.  I mean, the man drove me to Wisconsin (after a night of no sleep) for my very first N Sync concert (back in 1998).  He rarely lets me leave his sight without giving me money.  And he was there last month when I attempted my first 5K.  Perhaps we'll enter a 5K together in the future.  I honestly cannot imagine a better dad.

My brother and I, separated by four years, have had our ups and downs.  The downs were mostly when we lived together though.  We're very different but have the same Norwegian temper.  This is not a recipe for a good relationship.   Now that we're both adults, though, and living our own lives, things are a lot better.  He has given me musicians for the last few birthdays/holidays (as in, booked them at his bar for me) and we enjoy talking about Rangers baseball and music -- perhaps the only two non-genetic things we have in common. Although he sometimes picks on me, I know there's no way he'd let anyone else be unkind to me. Heck, he's been known to chew guys out for flirting with me. :-)

These three people are the reason I moved back to Iowa after four years in Texas. They are the reason I don't plan to leave the state anytime soon.  I can't imagine going back to only seeing them for holidays and the occasional trip again. I don't want to go back to that.

I love my family.  And I probably don't say that to them enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover