Image Map

Monday, December 27, 2010

Music Monday: Favorite Songs of 2010

When I was a kid, back before there were mp3s and itunes, I used to look forward to Dec. 31 and Casey Kasem's countdown of the biggest hits of the year.  Today, I thought I'd offer my own playlist of my favorite songs that were released in 2010.  Some made the radio, but most didn't.  I had no idea how to rank them, so I just put them in alphabetical order (by artist) instead.  Every single song below is available on itunes. I encourage you to look all of them up.  Enjoy!

"Bound To You" by Christina Aguilera (from the movie "Burlesque")
Christina's voice has been blowing me away for half of my life.  I never get tired of hearing her sing.  And I loved this movie.  This ballad was one of the highlights for me.

"My Kind of Perfect" by David Archuleta
This kid's voice has such a pure, innocent sound.  And this song is perfection.  Everyone has their own idea of perfect. I know I do.

"Loveblind" by Alexis Babini (sorry, I couldn't find a link to this one on youtube!)
Beautiful lyrics. Mesmerizing voice. I saw him at a house concert in Cedar Falls, and immediately bought all of his recordings. I can't wait to keep my eyes and ears on this guy's forthcoming work.

"Let the Rain" by Sara Bareilles
Okay, so I'll sing at the top of my lungs with "King of Anything," but this is the song on "Kaleidoscope Heart" that hit me hardest. I didn't think Sara could top "Little Voice," but I was wrong. Keep the gems coming, Sara.

"After the Morning After" by Todd Carey
I waited a long time for Todd to release a new batch of songs, and this EP was well worth the wait. This song, in particular, is my favorite. I see it as a unique glimpse into the life of a touring musician. There are certainly highs and lows (as there are with any career), and Todd shares some of that in this song. Amazing.

"Bring Your Love" by Zach Chance
I heard this song on an episode of "Private Practice" and had to look it up immediately. It's the sexiest song I've heard since J.T. Spangler's "Good Morning, Baby."

"Check Your Pocket" by Benjy Davis Project
One of the best albums of the year. By far. It's my go to CD for almost every roadtrip I've taken.  The sentiment in this song is so surprising -- about forgetting about someone or something among all the new people and things and then rediscovering them.  Love.

"F*** You" by Cee Lo Green
I dare you to try not to blast this in your car.  It'll bring a smile to your face after a particularly tough day or week.

"We Fight Back" by Tim Halperin
I discovered Tim completely via Twitter, and I unfortunately missed his trip to Iowa this past year. But I've kept up with his recordings anyway, and I was quick to order this one. The proceeds go to breast cancer research, and it's a great song about fighting any battle in life. It was on the playlist for my first 5K this year, which just happened to be the Race for the Cure.

"Almost You" by Ernie Halter (this one is actually video I took!)
This song is heartbreaking and hopeful all at once. Ernie spins a perfect tale about the moment you realize you haven't moved on nearly as much as you thought you had.  Been there.  Too many times.

"Picturing You" by Jeremy Lister
I downloaded this after falling in love with Jeremy's voice on "The Sing-Off" (he was part of Street Corner Symphony). Yet another Nashville boy has gotten to me.

"Like Love" by Tony Lucca
Really, I wish I could include Tony's whole "Rendezvous With the Angels" album. It was fantastic. He even covered Billy Joel (swoons). I didn't think I could love this man more, but he proves me wrong with each album and song he releases. I love his vocals on this song.

"Just the Way You Are" by Bruno Mars
Lacy and Jamie brought this song to my attention after I wrote a post about songs I wish had been written about me.  I listen to it at least three times a week now.  And swoon.  "Glee" did a decent version too in one of my favorite episodes of the season.

"According to You" by Orianthi
I dedicate this song to all the past crushes who didn't think I was good enough for them.

"Raise Your Glass" by Pink
Some people don't care for Pink's evolution as a musician, but I'm loving it.  This song is incredible, and I can't help singing along everytime I hear it.  "Raise your glass if you're all wrong in all the right ways...."  That's me.

"For the First Time" by The Script
My love affair with this group began in 2009, and their latest album did little to dim the flame.  I love love love the message in this song.

"Mean" by Taylor Swift
Say what you want about this girl, but she has written some killer songs.  I wish I'd had this one back when I was in high school.  What am I saying? I can still completely relate to it because, unfortunately, mean people still exist long after high school.

"Give Me One Reason" by Tyrone Wells (feat. Jason Reeves)
Tyrone collaborated with Jason Reeves (an Iowa native) on this one. Both of them have incredibly emotive voices, so this combination is almost overwhelming. Almost.  Not quite.  I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover