Image Map

Monday, December 27, 2010

Ten Lessons in 2010: Six

SIX: “Addition by subtraction” is real. You can improve your quality of life by cutting out things and people you don’t need or want surrounding you.

In an age of collecting friends via places like Facebook and Twitter, it's strange to say this, but sometimes your life can get "cluttered" with unhealthy connections.  It can drag you down without you even noticing, and unless and until you're willing to cut those connections, you will continue to be bogged down. 

One of the key examples I have of this is some of the Rangers "fans" I've encountered on Twitter.  This past season was a rollercoaster with plenty of exhilirating highs, but some equally devastating lows.  During some of those lows, I saw some nasty tweets regarding my beloved boys of summer.  I'm not going to lie and say I've never thought, "Why am I still watching this game?"  I have thought that and said it many times.  But I never wished physical pain on a player (although I didn't cry when the Rangers released Rich Harden), and I didn't curse the players.  After a few games of this, I had to "unfollow" a few of these "fans."  I just couldn't take it anymore.  And you know what?  The games were more enjoyable to watch. 

I'm sure it'll work in other areas of life too.  I'm trying to be more alert to the areas that need sprucing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover