Image Map

Friday, September 30, 2011

Friday Fiver - Rangers Baseball Edition

Beware of mood swings from me the next few weeks. 

I'm serious.

I'm likely to jump from exuberant to furious to sad in a matter of days (and sometimes minutes).

The cause? 

October baseball.

My beloved Texas Rangers begin their second playoff run in as many years today at 4 p.m.  Last year, they went all the way to the World Series, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping for the same this year.  Every fan hopes for their team to go to the championship (and win, of course), and last year was really the first time I've gotten to see a team I love play for a big title.  It was nerve-wracking, exciting and heartbreaking (in the end).

Yes, I am very invested in this team.  That's why my baseball blog is called Baseball is My Boyfriend.  The Rangers are the best boyfriends ever too.  They let me down occasionally (but doesn't everyone?), but they always make it up to me. I love them through the good and the bad, and even though it can be a wild ride, I have no intentions of jumping ship.  This is my team.  My Rangers.

So, this Friday Fiver will be all about my loves.  Let's play ball!

FAVORITE PLAYER
Me and Ian Kinsler back in 2006 --- his rookie season. He looks like such a baby here.
Appropriately enough for this post, my favorite Ranger wears the number five.  Ian Kinsler.  I have three shirseys with his name on them.  I have a little Rangers figurine on my desk that is supposed to be ambiguous, but I've named him Bootsy (Kinsler's nickname) because of the eye black and expression on his face. I fully intend to name my firstborn (or next pet) after the Rangers 2B.

THE BEGINNING
Amy and I used to get on TV a lot. Here's just one screenshot.
My fandom began in 2005, when I attended 33 games with my friend, Amy.  (Obviously, I was living in Texas at the time.) She passed away unexpectedly and very prematurely before the start of the 2006 season, but there is never a day (especially a gameday) when I don't think of her.  I bet she is loving all this Rangers success ... and she has the best seat in the house.

BALLPARKS
Rangers Ballpark in Arlington. One of my favorite places in the world.
 I have seen the Rangers play in eight different ballparks -- Rangers Ballpark in Arlington (duh), Minute Maid Park in Houston, Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City, HHH Metrodome in Minneapolis, Target Field in Minneapolis, U.S. Cellular Field in Chicago, Angels Stadium in Anaheim and O.co Coliseum in Oakland. I try to see them in at least one new ballpark each year. Next year, I have my sights set on either Baltimore or Seattle (friends in both cities) and a return to Texas to catch some games with my favorite Rangers fans.

MEMORABLE GAME
Kam Loe earned his first major league save at my most memorable game.
 The most memorable game I've attended was Hall of Fame Day in 2005.  Amy and I were so excited to have tickets in the Fox Box.  When the game started, it was blazing hot.  Over 100 degrees.  But heat never scared Amy and me away.  Throughout the game, the wind kept picking up and clouds moved in.  We were grateful for the reprieve, but then they started evacuating the upper levels.  When the rain hit, Amy and I scampered under the overhang to wait out what we were sure would be a brief shower.  The game continued, by the way, and as soon as the rain had stopped, Amy and I found seats in the lower deck behind the left field wall (these were our favorite seats).  Just as we sat down, it started pouring again.  By now, we were soaked, so we decided to just stick it out ... even though we were well aware that we were both wearing white shirts.  The Rangers left fielder (Kevin Mench at that time) kept turning around to glance up at us.  I don't know if it was the white shirts or if he was just stunned that there were still fans sitting through the downpour.  I will never ever forget that game.  It was also the day my favorite Rangers pitcher at the time, Kameron Loe, recorded his first major league save. 

THE TATTOO
Making my love permanent.
I got this tattoo on the inside of my right ankle when I was in Texas for Opening Day in 2009.  I absolutely love it.  I can't wait to add the Rangers logo after they win the World Series someday.


Go Rangers!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover