Image Map

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

WLJ: Running on emotions

Apparently, I'm applying the peck away method to my weight-loss.  Experts say it's safe to lose two pounds a week, but I'm averaging about one pound a week right now.  A little bit here, and a little bit there.  Sometimes it works in baseball, and I'm not afraid of extra innings in this journey, so I'll take it.  Any little bit is still better than a gain or a plateau. I just need to keep reminding myself of that so I don't get discouraged and quit again.

I had a fantastic week.  I don't think I've ever felt better about my life than I did this past week.  Quality time with friends and family, good baseball, making plans for the future -- it was all there.  I indulged plenty over the weekend and didn't track at all.  Yet, I still had a loss.  I can only attribute that to my emotions, and I'm convinced they play a huge role in this journey. 

My running is also progressing.  Those are some words I never thought I'd say.  I was the girl who used to walk the mile run in P.E. because there was no way I could run a mile.  Last week, I ran nine miles, including two 5Ks.  My Nike ipod plus clocked me at 34.18 on Wednesday and 34.30 on Sunday.  Expert runners might look at those times and laugh, but given where I've come from, I'm very impressed with myself.  And I feel better about the two races I've signed up for this month.  I participated in the Race for the Cure last year, but I don't think I was really ready.  Even though I had completed the Couch 2 5K program, I barely made it halfway through before pain in my back forced me to walk the rest.  With both of my upcoming events, my goal is simply to run the whole thing.  I would also like to finish in less than 40 minutes.  I'll let you know how I do.

Given that I'm still new to running (I really don't even consider myself a runner at this point), I would love advice on how to prepare for race day.

Most of the time, I run in the evening, so how will my body will adapt to running in the morning for the events?  I'm going to try and get myself up early Thursday to run, but I'm not optimistic about that (I am not a morning person at all). 

Last year, I ate oatmeal on race day, and I don't think that was the right choice.  What's a better way to fuel up without bogging myself down too much?

What are your favorite pre- and post-run stretches?  I've tried to be good about this, but I know I still need work so I'm loose enough for the run and can prevent soreness after it.


Weight-loss goal: 40 lbs.
This week's progress: - 1 lb.
Progress to date: -13.8 lbs.
Non-scale victory: I tried on clothes at a store over the weekend and I didn't hate it.  I'm starting to see and feel a real difference in how my clothes fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover