Image Map

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

WLJ: Are you an athlete?

There's no weigh-in this week since I've been out of town all weekend.  I promise I'll get back next week.

In the meantime, I offer this ...


A few weeks ago, I asked for input from runners about their routines, preferences and reasons for running.  One of my Twitter friends offered that quote in her lengthy response, and it really struck me. 

I have never ever thought of myself as an athlete.

I played softball in elementary and middle school. I played basketball until they got rid of 6-on-6 (what do you mean, you want me to run the length of the court?).  I played volleyball middle school through my first year of high school. I was a cheerleader in high school. But I wouldn't have called myself an athlete by any stretch of the imagination.

Even now, as I've gotten more active, and started getting into running, boot camp, Zumba, boot camp, kettlebell, I don't really see myself as an athlete.

But maybe I should start.

According to Webster's Dictionary, an athlete is defined as "a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina." 

I think I fit that definition. At least a little.

What do you think?

Do you consider yourself an athlete?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover