Image Map

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Finding independence

To all my American friends and readers,
Happy 4th of July!!



I was up early today to help out at a race event in town.  And by early, I mean earlier than I usually get up.  But it was a lot of fun, and there was some eye candy.  And I'm all about the eye candy lately, so it was fine.  Now, I'm cooling off a little in the AC and resting up for a party and fireworks later.

\\\\////

Everyday, I get an e-mail entitled "A Note from the Universe."  It's a list I signed up for about a year ago.  I suppose it's kind of like a horoscope, but it's mostly just inspirational words.  Sometimes they apply to my life, sometimes I read it and think "huh?" The other day, I got one I haven't been able to delete.  I wanted to share it with you.

Here are the top 10 ways people give away their power:
1.  Asking others what they should do.
2.  Thinking God decides who gets what.
3.  Worrying about how their dream will come true.
4.  Thinking they have dues to pay.
5.  Attaching to unimportant details and outcomes.
6.  Believing in soul mates.
7.  Thinking karma or spiritual contracts are absolute.
8.  Fear of anything, especially falling in love.
9.  Waiting for their ducks to line up before acting.
10.  Choosing to be unhappy.

Understand the truth, little bird, and you will soar.

Wow.  Is that powerful or what?

I'm good on some of those.  I've never believed in soul mates.  And I don't believe God decides who gets what, but I do believe He equips us with the knowledge, skills, tools to get what we want and deserve, but sometimes we don't recognize or utilize it.

But I'm guilty on quite a few too. I care too much about what others think of me.  I ask people for advice when I already know what I want to do.  I worry about how my dreams will come true.  I have a fear of getting hurt (which is essentially a fear of falling in love).  And, sadly, I've chosen to be unhappy way too many times. 

Time to stop. 

I've been giving away my power for too long. 

It's time to take it back.

And what better day to start than Independence Day?

3 comments:

  1. Incredible. I'm saving these words. When it's put this way- I give away too much of my power and I deserve NOT to do this. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post! I am guilty a a number of these things, and like you, I also care way too much about what people think of me. It's time for me to start changing that!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover