Image Map

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Furkids vs. furniture

My living room furniture is well-loved. That's a nice way of saying it's very worn.

My lovely living room.  Obviously an older photo since baseball is on the TV.


The loveseat and end table were a hand-me-downs from family friends. I bought the big chair on sale when I moved back to Iowa (more than six years ago).  They don't really match, so use slipcovers to unify them.  It's not fit for any home magazine, but it works for me.  For now.

Don't tell my furniture, but their days are numbered. The next time I move, I've decided I'm moving without these pieces.  But I need some advice about my next living room set.  Especially where it concerns that little furball sitting on the back of the couch in the picture above.

Not my cat or photo, but the sentiment fits.

I have two cats. Neither of them is declawed.  Why?  Well, I adopted Cleo when she was a year old, and I decided that was too late to declaw her (and I'm still not sure how I feel about the practice anyway).  I got Casey a few months later, and since Cleo had all her claws, I didn't feel it would be right to take Casey's away.

I have unsuccessfully tried to teach the cats not to stretch/sharpen their claw on the furniture.  I can stop them when I'm home, but they still do whatever they want when I'm not home.  They have scratching posts and pads -- and they use them -- but they also use my furniture for this purpose. For this reason, I know I'll probably never have anything fancy.  And that's fine.  I'd rather have my furbabies than expensive furniture. 

So ... I need to find some living room furniture that won't show the kitty wear and tear.  Does such a thing exist?  Do you have any advice for me as I start casually shopping for my next home?

3 comments:

  1. I think someone posted this on Facebook already, but definitely a second hand store. Most of them have pretty nice furniture that won't be too expensive in case of a kitty attack. We have a Habitat for Humanity resale shop in the area where all the proceeds from their sales help build homes in the area. It's a great way to get new and fun pieces and give back to the community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, no advice from me except DONT overspend since they are probably going to mess with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only thing my cat scratches is my ottoman! so I think wherever I go that thing is coming with me! lol He leaves everything else alone. So in a nutshell I have no advice lol

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover