Image Map

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Wallet watch

[link to one of the link-up hosts]
I've never been very good with money.  I've tried making a budget, but I rarely stick to it.  Or rather, I really just don't remain diligent at tracking and discipline.  Lately, my spending has gotten a little out of hand.

I need to do better.
I know I can do better.

As if she was reading my mind, Stephanie over at Not Entirely Perfect wrote about a project called Wallet Watch for this month.  (It was actually initiated by another Steph, but ... I wanted to give credit where I read it.) Well, she started yesterday, but I'm starting today.  I actually edited her rules quite a bit to fit me.

Here are my rules:
1. The spending freeze lasts from April 1-30.
2. The freeze obviously does not include monthly bills or necessary expenses such as groceries and gas.  It also does not include expenses related to the sale of my house or my friend's wedding. I am the maid of honor and I am in the midst of bachelorette planning and dress fitting time.
3. No outings that are not already budgeted for (unless someone else is footing the bill).  These are April 5, 12, 22, and 26.  I will also have a budget for each of those outings and will need to stay within it.
4. No shopping other than groceries. This includes Amazon (kindle books) and iTunes. I also have a set budget for groceries that I will stick to.
5. No ordering in food and calling it 'groceries."
6. No coffee I don't make at home or get free at work. 
7. Post my results May 6.  I promise I'll be honest.

Have you ever done a spending freeze?  How did it work out?
Also, if you have any tips for getting organized and disciplined with a budget, I'm all ears!


3 comments:

  1. Wooo!!! Good luck! I'm glad you're doing it :) Kindle books are rough on me too. Damn that Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to do something like this. I've been spending money like CRAZY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! I'm setting my own specific rules for this challenge too.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover