Image Map

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Birthday in review

Remember last week when I talked about how much I love my birthday?  It seems I'm not the only one who makes the celebration last longer than one day.  It's nice to know I'm in good company. 

Now, let's check out how I celebrated.

I kicked it off on Tuesday with lunch and this delicious dessert that's making a second appearance on this blog.  Because ... it was yummy and pretty.


On Wednesday, I went to Zoo Brew with some lovely people.  Not sure what that is?  Well, there were craft beer samples and live music at the zoo.  And no kids. Except for my group of friends who kind of turned into kids during this train ride. Best $2.25 I've ever spent.
I feel like this is almost as good as the infamous Ellen selfie from the Oscars.

After the zoo, we spontaneously decided to continue the fun at Hessen Haus, a local restaurant that specializes in German fare.  And das boot -- a glass boot filled with two liters of beer.  There have to be at least three people at your table to order a boot, and there are specific rules to follow.  It's so fun!


Apparently, good beer makes me give flirty eyes. Who knew?

Thursday, I took a break from celebrating and just worked 12 hours.  No big deal.


On Friday, I got my hair done (thanks to a generous birthday gift from my brother) and then headed to downtown Des Moines for a double-dose of Matt Nathanson.  I'd won tickets to a special afternoon acoustic session, which was the perfect warm-up for the evening concert.

Doesn't everyone hang out with Matt Nathanson on a Friday afternoon?  They should.

When you're as cool as Matt, you can wear your own tour shirt.


Saturday, I had brunch with two good friends at La Mie, a place I've been dying to try for a little while.  I also had to stop at The Cheese Shop and buy a few things because ... cheese.


That evening, my parents, my brother, and my parents' best friends (who are basically my surrogate aunt and uncle) came down for dinner and drinks.  Our food at Cooper's on 5th was amazing.  I had mac and cheese with gouda and blackened chicken.  I planned to only eat half and save the rest for lunch, but ... I couldn't not eat it all. It was so good.  With our bellies full, we headed to my second home, 515 Brewing Company, for some beers.  I got to try their newest two additions -- Daywalker (a ginger pale ale) and Das Heimlich (a saison made with chokeberries).  Huge thumbs up on both of those.

The only photo I took on Saturday night was of my beer (Das Heimlich). Go figure.


Sunday (my actual birthday) was a lot more chill.  I had a Skype chat with my best friend, worked at my library job (where they surprised me with cupcakes), and just plain relaxed.  After a busy several days, I was completely OK with this.

This wasn't the birthday I had planned a few months ago, but I can't imagine a better week/weekend.  I had so much fun with some of the most amazing people.  I felt so loved and blessed.  That's all I really wanted for my birthday.


4 comments:

  1. Looks like a great week! Happy Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Happy birthday! Hope you had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated Birthday! It sounds like you had a great week of celebrating!

    Oh, and I love Matt Nathanson, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fantastic birthday week! And duh, people should always celebrate their birthday for a whole week!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover