Image Map

Saturday, October 31, 2015

Weekly Reads, Vol. 50

Happy Halloween!! 

I went to a friend's house last night to hand candy out to trick-or-treaters on Beggars Night. That's something we do here in Central Iowa. It seems to confuse a lot of people who move here.  Basically, it started years ago to give children a night to make the rounds for candy before Halloween-related mischief took over.  And in Des Moines, the trick-or-treaters usually tell jokes.  I heard plenty of them last night.  One little girl even sang a short song.  It was fantastic.  Well done, parents!!

Today, there will be no costumes. Only football.  I'm off to Ames for the Iowa State-Texas game.  It's Iowa State's homecoming, and they dismissed their offensive coordinator earlier this week, so it should be interesting.  And also cold, but that's Iowa in late October for you.

Here's some reading material while you're waiting for your own Halloween fun.



Just in time for Halloween, Christina wrote about irrational fears. I don't think her list is irrational at all. Probably because I share a lot of them.

The World Series is also in full swing right now. Even though my team is out of it, I've been watching. I'm not ready for the off-season yet. If you're looking for some baseball-related reads, check out a pair of books by Caryn Rose. They're free for Kindle this week, but definitely worth a purchase as well. "A Whole New Ballgame" is sitting on my shelf right now, waiting for a re-read during the upcoming cold months.

As I mentioned yesterday, I was really lazy about my workouts in October. It's time to get back on track.  So I've joined Monica's Pile on the Miles challenge. You set your own goals for November and then check in when the month is over. I'm looking forward to getting moving again.

When I was younger, I often got angry at my parents for giving me a weird name. And not just an odd name, but a boy's name.  As I've gotten older, I appreciate it more.  Rena can relate and believes having a unique name has helped her more than hurt her. I tend to agree.

I used to keep a journal/diary, writing about all the things that happened to me in school and (largely) the boy I had a crush on.  Bonnie did the same thing, and this week she shared an excerpt from her diary.  Fun reading!

Have a great Saturday!!


1 comment:

  1. I went to a Halloween party at my brother's house on Saturday. While all the kids were upstairs playing, and the women were in the kitchen chatting, I was in front of the TV with all the guys, watching the World Series. Wouldn't have had it any other way.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover