Image Map

Monday, February 15, 2016

Music Monday: Daya - "Sit Still, Look Pretty"

A little over a month ago, I featured Daya's first single in this space.  After hearing her next single at a private listening party on Saturday, I have to share her next single.


It speaks to me so hard.  Here are just a few of the lyrics:

Could dress up, to get love
But guess what?
I'm never gonna be that girl
Who's living in a Barbie world

Could wake up, and make up, and play dumb
Pretending that I need a boy
Who's gonna treat me like a toy

And all other the girls wanna wear expensive things, and diamond rings
But I don't wanna be the puppet that you're playing on a string
This queen don't need a king


I absolutely love it.
 
Daya is very charming in person. She seems a bit timid when she speaks, but her confidence is there. Especially when she sings. That voice is just incredible.  I immediately bought her EP when I got home, and I am anxiously awaiting the full-length album.

To my surprise, there was a familiar face sitting to her left on stage.  Mr. Britten Newbill, of whom I've been a fan for five years. A friend told me about him in 2010, and I loved his voice, so I bought his album and it's in regular rotation. I've mentioned him before on this blog, and I've been bugging him on social media for new music, but he's been pretty quiet. So I was floored to see him as Daya's guitarist.  Just for funsies, here's my favorite song by him.


I only wish I'd gotten to talk to him after the performance and maybe gotten a photo. Instead, I just told everyone around me that they needed to look for his music because he's fantastic. You're welcome, Britten.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover