Image Map

Friday, February 19, 2016

Red Flannel Run recap

When I set out to do one race a month this year, I knew January and February would be the toughest months. I mean, I live in Iowa, where the ground is frozen and covered in snow this time of year. That means there aren't many races.  My January race was on the first day of the year and a brisk 22 degrees. Pretty cold, right? 

Naturally, my second race would be during one of the coldest stretches of the season -- 3 degrees at the start of the race. I consulted the internet to see how I should dress for the race, and all the sites seemed to think three layers on top and two on the bottom would suffice. Honestly, it ended up being too much. I could have done one less layer on each half and been fine. Of course, I made sure the layers were mostly dri-fit or wicking materials. There was some cotton included, but it was minimal.  That probably helped a lot with my body temperature.

The worst part was standing on the street, waiting for the race to start. But once they sounded the cannon (or something else really loud), we were off, and I warmed up rather quickly.  The route was a decent one --- through downtown, across the river, and back again.  The crowd was decent as well, and everyone was in good spirits for the run.

Even though I hadn't run any significant distance in more than a month, I felt really good. This is probably due to the variety and makeup of my Xtreme Revolution workouts. I truly think the plyos, sculpting, and even the yoga, have helped make me a better runner. I'm going to find a way to keep these things incorporated in my fitness routine when Xtreme is over.

Overall, the Red Flannel Run was a really good race. I would definitely do it again.


My finish time scale:
Good - 36:00 or above
Great - 34:01-35:59
Awesome - 34:00 or faster

Official time:
34:01

I am ONE SECOND away from an "AWESOME" finish. But I'm really happy with that time. Extremely happy. 

+++++

Last week's workouts
Friday: Xtreme Recovery (30 minutes)
Saturday: Red Flannel Run
Sunday: Off
Monday: FitFusion (20 minutes -- read about that here) + 3 miles on the treadmill (no Xtreme Revolution class - boo)
Tuesday: Off (no Xtreme Revolution class -- boo)
Wednesday: Yoga at home (no Xtreme Revolution class -- boo)
Thursday: Xtreme Revolution Plyo & Agility (30 minutes)  Skipped

Not my best week of workouts, but there was a lot going on.




2 comments:

Pin It button on image hover