Image Map

Monday, June 13, 2016

Music Monday: "Touch Me" from "Spring Awakening"

I love musical theatre (if you weren't already aware), and I look forward to The Tony Awards each year. I don't have TV service, of course, so I was sure this year, I'd be stuck looking for clips on YouTube. Fortunately, I was wrong. Last night, Des Moines Performing Arts hosted a Tony Awards watch party in the beautiful courtyard. There were food trucks and the Iowa Craft Beer Tent (my favorite, naturally). And, of course, the awards.

I thought James Corden did great as host. The opening number brought many laughs, and I enjoyed the replay of his carpool karaoke segment with Lin-Manuel Miranda, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Audra McDonald, and Jane Krakowski. There were so many shows honored during the awards that I would love to see. "Hamilton" has included Des Moines among the 14 stops on their first tour. I can't wait.

I was also thrilled to see a performance from "Waitress," because I adore Sara Bareilles, who wrote all the music. I really hope that show tours so I can have a chance to see it.

The performance I was most anticipating, however, was the revival of "Spring Awakening." It is one of my all-time favorite shows, and I love that Andy Mientus (who was on the touring cast I saw) and Krysta Rodriguez (who I loved in "Smash" are in the cast).  It's such a poignant show and the music is some of my favorite. I really hope the revival tours, as I'm intrigued to see how the sign language adds to the show. Here's a clip I found online of one of my favorite numbers from the show.







1 comment:

  1. I am wanting to see Hamilton, too. It is slated for an extended run in Chicago, so I think an autumn road trip to the Windy City is in my future! I would like to see Waitress as well. Glad you were able to watch the Tonys! Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover