Image Map

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

My Favorite Things: Beers

It's probably long past time for me to tell you about my preferred beers. After all, my love for the adult beverage has been well-documented on this blog. I even tried to make it into a monthly series, but that fizzled. Ah well. I had good intentions, just not the best planning or efforts.  Anyway, here are six of my favorite beers.

Source

Smoked Red - West O
This was my first favorite Iowa beer. I tried it at the Iowa Craft Beer Tent and fell in love right away. It's a little smoky and there are some caramel notes as well, yet it's still just a bit crisp. I might have fangirled a little when I met the brewer of this beer. It has become my standard for all reds.

/////


Source
Fixed Gear - Lakefront
This is a an American Red IPA from a brewery in Milwaukee. (If you have a chance, go on their tour. It's so good!) It's the best of two great styles - red and IPA. I get excited anytime I find it in stores or - better yet - on tap somewhere local.

/////

Source
Numb Nut - 515 Brewing
This spiced brown is only available each winter. That might be part of why I love it so much. Also because it tastes like Christmas - nutty and spicy. It's so good. Even though 515 continues to crank out delicious brews, this remains my all-time favorite. I love this beer so much, I even campaigned for it during our Caucus Your Beer event last year.

/////

Source
Death By Coconut - Oskar Blues
There are a lot of coconut porters and stouts out there. This one has the perfect balance of chocolate, coffee, and coconut. It's a little bit pricey in stores, but it's so worth it.

/////

Source
Shiner Bock - Shiner
I remember drinking quite a bit of this when I lived in Texas. Every now and then, I find it on tap places here, and it's a decent go-to. Every now and then, I like having a taste of Texas.

/////

Source
 Chocolate Shake Porter - Boulder
Dessert in a bottle. That's all I really have to say about this beer.

/////

Honorable mentions:
Passe - 515 Brewing
Black Butte Porter - Deschutes
Grapefruit IPA - Schlafly


Sadly, most of these are only available in Des Moines or the Midwest.  Guess you'll have to come visit me if you want to try them.

What are some of your favorites?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover