Image Map

Wednesday, December 21, 2016

I am that girl

A few months ago, I shared with you the lessons I've learned about myself in my new relationship. It was a bit of a negative post, so I thought I'd balance it out with one that is much more positive. Maybe annoyingly so. I try not to get mushy about the boy in this space, but I'm not sure I've adequately conveyed how happy I am with him.

In all my years of singlehood, I was mystified by the way my friends behaved when they were in a new relationship. I didn't understand why they suddenly changed -- not necessarily in a bad way -- and why this new person in their life got so much of their attention. As someone who actually loved being single, I also didn't understand wanting to share so much time and space with someone.

But I finally get it. I'm there now. And I apologize to my friends if I was not understanding before. In the past eight months, I have become someone I never understood and never thought I'd be.


I'm the girl who watches her phone for the "good morning" texts. I know exactly when to expect them and if he's a little late with them, I admit I worry a bit.

I'm the girl who calls him just to hear his voice. Even if I was just with him a few hours earlier, I think of something I want to tell him and I don't want to do it via text. Fortunately, he's a fan of this as well. The nights we aren't together, we spend at least an hour on the phone.

I'm the girl who can spend a whole weekend with him and still miss him when Monday comes and we have to go back to work and our lives. After I met Sean, I immediately apologized to one of my closest friends. I'd given her such a hard time about seeing her new beau multiple times in just the span of a few weeks. She laughed and accepted my apology, of course. That's what friends do.

I am the girl who may not share his interests, but is willing to listen to him talk about them. Endlessly, it seems. I love seeing the excitement in his face and hearing it in his voice when he geeks out over something related to radio, one of his sports teams, or his favorite musician.

I am the girl who likes sharing her space and her time. Even though I still enjoy the occasional solo evening, I much prefer spending time with him. 

Because of him, I am that girl.

Finally.

And it was so worth the wait.

2 comments:

  1. I've followed your blog for a few years now, and even though I don't know you I feel like I do. I'm so happy for you! I was that girl too. I didn't really date much and then at 30 I met my husband through a matchmaking company. Needless to say I quickly went from the single girl to the girl who couldn't get enough of a certain boy. That's how you know you've found a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like in the end your friends really do get that your relationship has to come first. It isn't an easy adjustment sometimes but growing together is amazing, even when you drive each other crazy.
    I am really happy for you and I know Sean must be an amazing person because he loves YOU!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover