Image Map

Sunday, August 5, 2018

Diva Dash 5K 2018 recap

Two years ago I took on the challenge of doing one race a month for an entire year. But it feels like a lot more time has passed since then. I've scaled back on races -- partially for cost and partially because life got busy -- but occasionally I get back out there. One race I love every year is the Diva Dash 5K. I love that it's all women, and it's such a non-competitive, fun environment. Also, my company usually has a team, which makes it even more enjoyable.



I did not train a lot leading up to this race, which I had to remember when setting my expectations. Sure, I've been working out regularly, but I have not been running on a regular basis. So I knew my pace would not be great. I also suspected I would be walking at times. I was right on both counts.


The first mile was really rough. It starts with an incline up to the state capitol. In the past, I've always powered up that hill, but today, I decided to walk. I didn't want to burn all my energy in the first half-mile. I felt really good during the second mile, though I did have to walk a little at the end of it. I also walked a little in the third mile. But I had some energy to burn in the last stretch and actually was able to stride out at the finish line.

My best cheerleader was set up at the start of mile two and at the finish line. It always helps to have a friendly face.


While my time wasn't great, I'm still happy with the race. It felt good to get back out there. My next one is in September. I'm also signed up for one in October and am considering one in November. So I have plenty of time to get my legs back in shape.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover