Image Map

Sunday, February 17, 2019

Sunday Sweats: Constant challenge

Some people enjoy solo workouts. Some enjoy group fitness classes.

I sit on both sides of that fence. There are benefits to both.

Solo workouts allow me to kind of zone out and recharge a little bit, mentally. Running is the only solo workout I do, and there are days it is just what I need. Fresh air, music in my ears, and my feet pounding the trail. It can help cure a bad day.

Group fitness classes make up the majority of my routine. I enjoy the camaraderie. But honestly, the real reason I love the classes is for the challenge. The classes make me try exercises I wouldn't otherwise even think of. I can go easy on myself when I'm working out alone. But if I'm surrounded by other people, I push myself more. My instructors push me too. Just the other day, I was doing an overhead carry with a 12 lb. dumbbell. My instructor told me I was taking the easy way out. He said, "Grab a kettlebell next time. Challenge yourself." I did as he said and he gave me some applause next time I went by with a 12 KG kettlebell (the internet says that 26.455 lbs). He knew I could do more and he made sure I knew it. I appreciated it -- the vote of confidence and the kick in the butt. Sometimes I need that.



+++++

Last week's workouts:
Sunday - Off
Monday - Xtreme Cardio (30 mins)
Tuesday - Xtreme Total Body Strength (30 mins)
Wednesday - Xtreme Cardio EMOM (30 mins)
Thursday - Xtreme 3-line stations (30 mins)
Friday - Xtreme Partner Cardio (30 mins)
Saturday - Off


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover