Image Map

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

2014 in review

It's time to change the calendar again.  And I'm one of those people who sees it as a clean slate and a chance to reflect on the year behind.

In 2014, I ...

... stayed in the same full-time job for the entire year.  That's the first time I've been able to say that in three years.  I also picked up a part-time job as a circulation clerk at a library, and I LOVE IT.  Being around books and people who love books feeds my soul. And I've learned some interesting things there too.

... stepped a little bit outside my comfort zone and did a boudoir shoot with my lovely and talented friend, Ali. I learned a lot about myself and my perceptions of myself through this experience.  And I'm still learning from it. By the way, that was my most-viewed post of the year.

... served as maid of honor for one of my closest friends on her big day.  Wes and Ashley's wedding was so beautiful and a lot of fun.  I love their friends and family, and I was honored to be included.  Oh, and I attended the wedding of another friend the day after.  That was my weekend of weddings.

... tried online dating again. I went on multiple dates with two different guys and was feeling pretty decent about them.  But they both faded away.  And I was disappointed both times.  I also decided online dating just isn't for me.  To be honest, I'm not sure dating in general is for me. The single girl struggle is real.

... participated in another blogger lip sync.  This time, we did Taylor Swift's "Shake It Off," and I enjoyed every minute of it.

... met a lot of great new friends and strengthened some pre-existing friendships.  I lost a few friends along the way too, and it sucked at the time, but I think it was for the best. 

... continued my exploration into the world of craft beer.  It's been a tasty journey too.

++++

As I mention every year, I don't do New Year's Resolutions. I do goals and new things.  Instead of trying to change something about myself, I prefer to focus on accomplishing things and stretching beyond my comfort zone.  So ... let's see how I did this past year.

2014 GOALS

1.  Complete eight races.
Run 4 River
Glow Run
Run to Exile 10K
IMT Des Moines Half-Marathon
Hot Chocolate Run
Tour de Lights
El Bait Shop Holiday Fun Run
.... I finished one short!  Gah!
 
2Read 45 books.
I ended up reading 70 .... so yeah, I met my goal.
 
3.  Pay off all of my credit and store cards.
I did not get all of this done. But I did pay off three of my store cards.  Only one more of those to go plus my one credit card.  That's not a complete failure, right?

4.  Send out four handwritten notes or surprises each month.
I started off the year doing so well, but I fell off in April and just never picked it up again. FAIL.
 

2014 NEW THINGS

1. Take a spin class.
DONE!  It's actually become one of my favorite fitness classes, but only when Emily is teaching.

2. Complete a 10K and a half-marathon.
DONE and DONE!

3. Join two organizations or committees.
I did this one too.  I was on the Des Moines Arts Festival Event Management Team and a member of the Barley's Angels of Greater Des Moines board.

Check back Thursday to see what I'll be aiming for in 2015.


4 comments:

  1. Love that you joined in on the Shake It Off fun, and super thankful you sent us a Christmas card! We just got it cuz our apt mail sucks, but know you're loved by us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great year! Cheers to 2015. I love your goal of reading so much. I wish I had time to do that. And I'm 100% with you for the goals vs. resolutions outlook.

    -Claire
    fashionandfeathers.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you did great with your goals this year! So what if you were a little short! Having the goals probably helped you to accomplish more than if you hadn't set any! Getting out of debt is such a huge challenge. My husband and I are slowly, but surely, doing the same. I would say what you accomplished this year is great! Can't wait to see your goals for 2015! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had a great 2014, you really did!!! But I think 2015 will be your best year yet :)

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover